Signatures as off 323 May 21 2012 since 3 Jan (comprises mostly local residents)
ONLINE 143 ON PAPER 180
St Hilda's Parish Church is an imposing red brick building that stands on an abrupt cliff edge in the Firth Park / Shiregreen / Wincobank area of North East Sheffield. Built in the 1930's by the architect Leslie Moore (1883-1957) it represents an ambitious build that provides one of the few interesting historic buildings in the area. The church was closed in 2007 and currently faces demolition as the Anglican Church no longer have use for it and no alternative use has been sought. Having suffered limited vandalism that has caused only superficial damage it is sad that such a solid structure that undoubtably has viable alternative uses is to be raised to the ground. Once torn down it shall be gone forever and the shame is it does not seem to have had an opportunity to be of some other use. Please sign the petition to stop the imminent demolition of this building and support attempts to find an alternate use. Any additional involvement or support would be invaluable.
Broadcast on Radio Sheffield, 4th Jan 2011 Rony Robinson talks to Mike Higginbottom about the plight of St Hilda's. click here to listen (2 hrs 34 min into the 3 hour programme) (it lasts approx 7 mins)
Mike Higginbottoms BLOG ARTICLES refering to St Hilda's
1 losing a landmark - Dec 5, 2011
2 church going - Dec 17, 2011
3 gorton renaissance - Jan 3, 2012
4 praised with faint damns - Jan 5, 2012
5 outside the box - Jan 13, 2012
Formed out of portions of the parishes of St. Cuthbert (Fir Vale); St. Thomas' (Wincobank) and St. Thomas' (Brightside) in November 1936.
The site of the church (consecrated 1938) was given by Mr. Bradley Firth, and a sum of £3000 was presented towards the building by Mrs. Jeffcock, a former resident of Shire House, Lower Shire Green.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £550, with residence, in 1957 by the Rev. Ronald Thomson, B. A., of Leeds Universty.
From RB - sheffield history site (with thanks)